Hyoid Bone Anatomy
Rh antigens: definition and blood types
Rh Blood Group System:
Anitgenic surface markers.
- The letters Rh are applied to these antigens because they were first identified by Landsteiner and Wiener in 1940 using antibodies against Rhesus monkey RBCs.
Try learning this topic with flashcards. Here’s how you can make your own.
- Chemically, Rh antigens are part of long proteins that coil back and forth through the RBC plasma membrane, forming six extracellular loops.
- The sequence of amino acids on extracellular loops 3, 4, and 6 determines the Rh antigen type.
Extracellular loops 3, 4, and 6 highlighted
- Over 40 types of Rh antigens have been identified thus far, each differing in structure by just a few amino acids.
- Most common are the D antigens, and individuals who have these antigens are considered to be Rh+.
- About 85% of Caucasians, 90%-95% of African Americans and 98%-99% of Asian Americans are Rh+.
- Individuals who have other types of Rh antigens are considered to be Rh-.
Review the Rh blood group system.