Bipolar Neurons - Structure and Functions
Functional Classification of Neurons – Anatomical View
- Let’s take a another look at the functional classes of neurons using an illustration that is more anatomically correct.
- Sensory neurons inside the nerves conduct electro-chemical signals (action potentials) from peripheral receptors to the CNS.
- In the CNS, the sensory information is transfered to interneurons and carried to the brain.
- Brain interneurons process the sensory information, develop a response, and deliver the action plans to motor neurons.
- The motor neurons conduct action potentials out of the CNS to the appropriate peripheral effectors.