Distribution of Ions In Resting Axons
- The ion concentrations in the extracellular fluid (ECF) and intracellular fluid (ICF) of a resting axon can be measured.
These concentrations are often expressed in millimolar (mM) units.
- Molarity (M) is the number of moles of a solute in one liter of solution.
- One Mole of a solute contains 6.023 x 1023 particles.
- Thus, a 1 molar (M) solution contains 6.023 x 1023 particles in a liter of solution.
- A 1 millimolar (mM) solution is 1000 X less concentrated than a 1 M solution.
Phew, lots of new information to take in. Why not try testing yourself with the technique of active recall?